Join our Board of Directors
ABOUT PERLEY HEALTH FOUNDATION
Perley Health is a unique and innovative community that empowers Seniors and Veterans to live life to the fullest. Home to more than 600 Seniors and Veterans in long-term care and in independent apartments, Perley Health provides a growing number of clinical, therapeutic and recreational services to residents, tenants and people from across the region.
One of the largest and most progressive long-term care homes in Ontario, Perley Health is also a centre for research, education, and clinical innovation. Our Centre of Excellence in Frailty-Informed Care conducts and shares the practical research needed to improve care. Future caregivers come here to study and to acquire hands-on skills and experience.
Perley Health’s values are brought to life each day by our over 800 employees. And more than 400 regular volunteers connect us closely with the community. Together, we improve the well-being of Canada’s aging population.
The Perley Health Foundation, an independent organization, is the fundraising arm of Perley Health.
Governance oversight of the Foundation is accomplished through a Board of Directors consisting of up to 18 dedicated volunteers who serve for a minimum term of three years. There are normally 1-3 vacancies on the Board each year and applications from the public are welcomed.
For more information about Perley Health Foundation, visit www.perleyhealthfoundation.ca
WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
As Perley Health Foundation is completing its largest fundraising campaign, the Board will launch a new strategic plan so this is an exciting time to become involved as board member in setting strategic priorities. We are seeking dynamic individuals to join our Board of Directors as we implement a new Strategic Plan. We are recruiting up to three (3) new Directors for a term of three years. Members of our Board of Directors are experienced and committed leaders, bringing a wide range of expertise, knowledge and perspective to our fundraising efforts to transform care for Seniors and Veterans.
The Board of Directors is a governance board, focused on establishing strategic direction and applying effective oversight to ensure the organization is advancing effectively toward its goals. Day-to-day operations of Perley Health Foundation are the responsibility of a fulltime Executive Director who reports to the Board of Directors. The Executive Director and her staff work with various volunteers, committees, and fundraising experts and advisors to develop and implement programs that achieve the organization’s objectives while complying with the board’s policy framework.
EXPERTISE / SKILLS
We are seeking a mix of skills and expertise to facilitate discussion on key strategic issues. Board skills matrix identified the following priority:
• Fundraising and donor relations
• Public communications and digital technology
• Legal and governance
• Financial management, audits and accounting
• Military (Defence & Security Sector)
In addition, we are seeking a number of attributes to ensure diversity and representativeness in our governance.
The list of experiences and attributes provided above is for reference and indication only. Candidates for a Director position with Perley Health Foundation are not required to have all of the experiences or attributes noted above to be considered. All candidates are invited to share how their unique experience will contribute to the collective quality and diversity of our Board.
Members of the Board of Directors of Perley Health Foundation typically spend an average of 5-8 hours per month on board-related activities, more if they hold a position such as Chair or Chair of a committee.
Board Members are expected to:
• Be a guardian of the donors’ interest, the brand, and the reputation
• Participate in strategic planning and formally approve and adopt the strategy
• Understand, and support, the principle of fiduciary responsibility of Boards of Directors
• Foster collegial and positive working relationships with other Board members and staff
• Promote the case for support for transforming care for Seniors and Veterans
• Make a personally significant contribution annually
• Attend all Board meetings (8x 2hours meetings per year)
• Commit to membership on at least 1 Board committee (4-6 virtual meetings per year)
• Prepare well for meetings and contribute to special projects and/or advisory committees
• Attend external meetings/fundraising events, as needed
HOW TO APPLY!
If this type of leadership interests you, we’d like to hear from you. Applications to this public call will be accepted until November 30, 2022. Please forward the following to firstname.lastname@example.org :
• an up-to-date resume, including management or professional experience
• a letter of introduction identifying your reasons for applying, the diversity you might add to the Board, and other relevant information
To ensure a strong Board, the Nominations Committee will consider among members and potential members, the balance of qualifications, experience and interpersonal abilities. All applicants will be contacted in response.